- Psa 33:11-12 – “11 The counsel of the LORD standeth for ever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations. 12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.”
- Psa 65:4 – “4 Blessed is the man whom thou choosest, and causest to approach unto thee, that he may dwell in thy courts: we shall be satisfied with the goodness of thy house, even of thy holy temple.”
- Isa 14:24,27 – “24 The LORD of hosts hath sworn, saying, Surely as I have thought, so shall it come to pass; and as I have purposed, so shall it stand:
27 For the LORD of hosts hath purposed, and who shall disannul it? and his hand is stretched out, and who shall turn it back?”
- Isa 46:10 – “46 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:”
- Eze 36:26-27 – “26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.” (He gives a new heart, and causes them to walk in His statutes)
- Dan 4:35 – “35 And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?”
- John 1:12-13 - "12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God."
- John 6:29, 44 & 65 - "29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent. (belief is a work of God)
44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father."
- John 8:36 – “36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.” (IF Jesus sets you free, you SHALL BE free indeed)
- Acts 4:27-28 - "27 For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together, 28 For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done."
- Acts 13:48 - "48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed."
- Acts 15:18 - "18 Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world."
- Rom 2:4 – “4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?” (God leads to repentance)
- Rom 4:17 – “17 (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.” (God quickens the DEAD – dead people cannot move toward God without His quickening first)
- Rom 5:17 - "17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)"
- Rom 9:16 - "16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy."
- 1 Cor 1:1 – “1 Paul called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,” (Paul was an apostle of Jesus through the will of God, not his own)
- 2 Cor 1:1 – “1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, unto the church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints which are in all Achaia:” (Paul was an apostle of Jesus through the will of God, not his own)
- Eph 2:5-10 - "5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved; ) 6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: 7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." (we were DEAD, vs5; faith is a gift, vs 8)
- Phil 1:6 – “6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:” (God starts and finishes the work, we do not – it is God who does this; and we cannot because without Him we are dead in our sins)
- Phil 1:29 – “29 For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;” (belief is a gift)
- Phil 2:12-13 - "12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. 13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure."
- Col 1:12 – “12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet [able] to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:” (God has made us able to be partakes of His inheritance, which also implies we weren’t able to before)
- Col 2:12-14 – “12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. 13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; 14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;” (faith is an operation of God, vs 12; we were quickened from the dead by Him – not a movement of our own, vs 13; Jesus removed the ordinances against us, His sheep, vs 14)
- 2 Thess 2:13-14 - "13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth: 14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ." (chosen to salvation)
- 2 Tim 1:9 - "9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,"
- Jam 1:18 – “18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.”
- Isaiah 42:1 - “Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.”
- Isaiah 45:4 - “For Jacob my servant's sake, and Israel mine elect, I have even called thee by thy name: I have surnamed thee, though thou hast not known me.“
- Isaiah 65:9 - “And I will bring forth a seed out of Jacob, and out of Judah an inheritor of my mountains: and mine elect shall inherit it, and my servants shall dwell there.”
- Isaiah 65:22 - “They shall not build, and another inhabit; they shall not plant, and another eat: for as the days of a tree are the days of my people, and mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands.”
- Matthew 24:22 - “And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.”
- Matthew 24:24 - ”For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.”
- Matthew 24:31 - ”And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.”
- Mark 13:20 - ”And except that the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh should be saved: but for the elect's sake, whom he hath chosen, he hath shortened the days.”
- Mark 13:22 - ”For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.”
- Mark 13:27 - ”And then shall he send his angels, and shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven.”
- Luke 18:7 - ”And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them?”
- Romans 8:33 - ”Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.”
- Romans 9:11 - ” (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth; )”
- Romans 11:5 - ”Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.”
- Romans 11:7 - ”What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded.”
- Romans 11:28 - ”As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the father's sakes.”
- Colossians 3:12 - ”Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;”
- 1 Thessalonians 1:4 - ”Knowing, brethren beloved, your election of God.”
- 1 Timothy 5:21 - ”I charge thee before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, and the elect angels, that thou observe these things without preferring one before another, doing nothing by partiality.”
- 2 Timothy 2:10 - ”Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.”
- Titus 1:1 - ”Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;”
- 1 Peter 1:2 - ”Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.”
- 1 Peter 2:6 - ”Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.”
- 1 Peter 5:13 - ”The church that is at Babylon, elected together with you, saluteth you; and so doth Marcus my son.”
- 2 Peter 1:10 - ”Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:”
- 2 John 1:1 - ”The elder unto the elect lady and her children, whom I love in the truth; and not I only, but also all they that have known the truth;”
- 2 John 1:13 -“The children of thy elect sister greet thee. Amen.“
- Gen 35:3 – “And they journeyed: and the terror of God was upon the cities that were round about them, and they did not pursue after the sons of Jacob.” (God divinely influencing the wills of people)
- Ex 23:27 – “I will send my fear before thee, and will destroy all the people to whom thou shalt come, and I will make all thine enemies turn their backs unto thee.” (God divinely influencing the wills of people)
- Ex 34:24 – “For I will cast out the nations before thee, and enlarge thy borders: neither shall any man desire thy land, when thou shalt go up to appear before the LORD thy God thrice in the year.” (God divinely influencing the wills of people)
- Josh 11:20 – “For it was of the LORD to harden their hearts, that they should come against Israel in battle, that he might destroy them utterly, and that they might have no favour, but that he might destroy them, as the LORD commanded Moses.” (God hardened their hearts to destroy them)
- Judges 7:22 – “And the three hundred blew the trumpets, and the LORD set every man's sword against his fellow, even throughout all the host: and the host fled to Bethshittah in Zererath, and to the border of Abelmeholah, unto Tabbath.” (God set them against each other)
- Ezra 1:1-2 – “Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, that the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah might be fulfilled, the LORD stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, that he made a proclamation throughout all his kingdom, and put it also in writing, saying, 2 Thus saith Cyrus king of Persia, The LORD God of heaven hath given me all the kingdoms of the earth; and he hath charged me to build him an house at Jerusalem, which is in Judah.” (God stirred his spirit to fulfill His word spoken through Jeremiah 70 years earlier)
- Ezra 7:27 – “Blessed be the LORD God of our fathers, which hath put such a thing as this in the king's heart, to beautify the house of the LORD which is in Jerusalem:” (God put it in the king’s heart to have the law of God be the law of the land)
- Psa 105:25 – “He turned their heart to hate his people, to deal subtilly with his servants.” (God divinely influencing the wills of people)
- Prov 16:9 – “9 A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps.” (God directs those regardless of what the man’s heart devises)
- Prov 19:21 – “21 There are many devices in a man’s heart; nevertheless the counsel of the Lord, that shall stand (same)
- Prov 21:1 – “1 The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will.” (God controlling their hearts to turn wherever He wills)
- Dan 1:9 – “9 Now God had brought Daniel into favour and tender love with the prince of the eunuchs.” (God brought Daniel into the favor of the prince)
- John 3:8 – “8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.” (the Spirit sovereignly saves whom He will)
- Acts 3:26 – “26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.” (God turning them from their iniquities)
- Acts 7:9-10 - "9 And the patriarchs, moved with envy, sold Joseph into Egypt: but God was with him, 10 And delivered him out of all his afflictions, and gave him favour and wisdom in the sight of Pharaoh king of Egypt; and he made him governor over Egypt and all his house.” (God gave Joseph favor in the sight of Pharaoh)
- Acts 16:6-7 – “6 Now when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia, 7 After they were come to Mysia, they assayed to go into Bithynia: but the Spirit suffered them not.” (the Spirit would not allow them to go into Asia nor Bithynia)
- Acts 16:14 – “14 And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul.” (God opened her heart)
- Rom 9:18 – “18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.” (God does what He wills with people)
- 1 Cor 1:27-29 – “27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.” (these things are sovereignly done at the expense of the wise. Why? So that God alone gets the glory)
- 1 Cor 12:11 – “11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.” (the Spirit irresistibly carrying out His own will, which is the same as the Father’s)
- 1 Cor 12:18 – “18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.” (God deciding how people will function as members of the body of Christ)
- 2 Cor 8:16 – “16 But thanks be to God, which put the same earnest care into the heart of Titus for you.” (God putting earnest care into someone’s heart)
- Eph 3:7 – “7 Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.” (Paul was MADE a minister by the work of God’s effectual power)
- 2 Thess 2:10-12 – “10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: 12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.” (God sending strong delusion that they might be damned)
- 1 Tim 1:12 – “12 And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;” (God put Paul in the ministry)
- 2 Pet 1:21 – “21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.” (God moving on the will of man)
- Rev 17:17 - "17 For God hath put in their hearts to fulfill his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled." (God put it in their hearts to fulfill His will)
- Is 53:8-12 – “8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. 9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth. 10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. 11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. 12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.” (Jesus was stricken for HIS people, vs 8; His seed in vs 10 are a specific set of people; Jesus justified and bared the sin of MANY, vs 11 & 12)
- Luke 19:10 – “10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.” (so, either Christ seeks for every person to save them and fails at that, because not every person is saved; or He is not seeking every person and is fully successful with those whom He does seek)
- John 1:29 - "29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." (if Jesus TOOK AWAY the sins of everyone, then everyone would go to heaven)
- John 6:33 - "33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world." (to whom does God give life? Everyone? Then everyone would have life and would go to heaven, and we know that not everyone does to heaven, so not everyone is given life, which means "world" here is not every single person)
- John 6:37-39 - "37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. 38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. 39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day." (specific set of people -- those given Christ)
- John 10:11 – “11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.” (for His SHEEP)
- John 10:26-28 - "26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand." (His SHEEP hear His voice and are given eternal life, not everyone)
- John 11:51-52 – “51 And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation; 52 And not for that nation only, but that also he should gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad.” (died for a specific group of people – that nation, and those He’s going to gather scattered abroad)
- John 17:2 - "2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him." (life given to THOSE whom the Father had given Christ, not everyone)
- 1 Cor 2:7 – “7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:” (God ordained Christ crucified before the world began; the gospel message was intended for a specific set of people (“unto OUR glory”) – those to whom He would give understanding of the gospel (see vs 9-13)
- 2 Cor 5:19 - "19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation." (if He reconciled every single person, every single person would go to heaven)
- Matt 26:27-28 - "27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; 28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins." (shed for MANY)
- Mark 14:23-24 - "23 And he took the cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them: and they all drank of it. 24 And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many." (again, for many)
- Rom 5:8 - "8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." (to whom is Paul talking? The Roman Christians -- Christ died for Christians)
- Eph 5:2 – “2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet smelling savour.” (given Himself for US, His sheep)
- Eph 5:25 – “25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;” (gave Himself for His Church)
- 1 Thess 5: 9-10 – “9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, 10 Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.” (we were APPOINTED to salvation, as other are APPOINTED to wrath; Christ died for US, the appointed)
- Heb 9:28 – “28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.” (bore the sins of MANY)
- Heb 13:20 – “20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,” (if the blood applied to everyone, then Christ is the shepherd of everyone; some go to hell, so Christ fails as shepherd, which cannot be. So, Christ is the shepherd of only His sheep, the blood applying only to them)
- Lev 20:23 – “And ye shall not walk in the manners of the nation, which I cast out before you: for they committed all these things, and therefore I abhorred them.”
- Ps 5:5 - "5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity."
- Ps 11:5 - "5 The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth."
- Ps 78:67-68 - “67 Moreover he refused the tabernacle of Joseph, and chose not the tribe of Ephraim: 68 But chose the tribe of Judah, the mount Zion which he loved.”
- Prov 8:17 – “17 I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me.” (God loves those who love Him)
- Jer 31:2-3 - “2 Thus saith the LORD, The people which were left of the sword found grace in the wilderness; even Israel, when I went to cause him to rest. 3 The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.” (a special love directed to the remnant of Israel spared by the sword)
- Amos 3:2 – “2 You only have I known of all the families of the earth: therefore I will punish you for all your iniquities.” (knows intimately only a certain set of people, not everyone)
- John 14:21 - "21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him." (those who love Jesus shall be loved by the Father -- not everyone)
- John 17:9 - “9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine." (Jesus doesn't pray for the world, only those given Him)
- Heb 12:6 - “6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth." (not everyone is chastened by God, only those who are loved by Him)
- Rev 3:19 - “As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.” (same)
- 1 Tim 4:10 - "10 For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe." (If God is the Savior of all men, how come some end up in hell? Either God's not powerful enough to save them, or He is not the spiritual Savior of all men, every single person.)
- Titus 2:11 - "11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men," (then all must be saved; same as the light of the world -- it shows, but this doesn't mean it's available to all; the "all" here is all without distinction, not without exception)
- 1 John 2:2 - "2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world." (if this is everyone, why make a distinction between ours and the world, why not just way world? In context "ours" is the Jewish Christians, "whole world" is the Gentiles Christians; see John 11:51-52)
- 1 Tim 2:4 - "4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth." (if God willed all men to be saved, it would happen; besides above verses, also cf Job 23:13 - "13 But he is in one mind, and who can turn him? and what his soul desireth, even that he doeth. Also, there is a distinction between His declared will [what people are to obey] and His decreed will [that which nothing can stand against].)
- 2 Peter 3:9 - "9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." (to whom is he talking and to what does the "any" and "all" apply? They reference the previous phrase "to us-ward", us being the Christians, to whom Peter is writing)
- Ezek 18:23,32; 33:11 - "23 Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live? 32 For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye.
11 Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?" (cf Is 53:10 - "10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him [Christ]; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand." Here God pleased in sending Christ to the cross, not in some barbaric way, but that it was part of the accomplishments of His purposes, and having those accomplished pleases God)
- Rom 11:32 - "32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all." (does He show mercy on every single person? Certainly the fact that we're not all in hell right now is a general mercy given to all people, but eternal mercy?)
- 2 Pet 2:1 - "1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction." (the word for Lord here is "despotes", which refers to God the Father, and not Jesus, which is "kurios" when the word Lord is used with Christ. An example is Jude 1:4 - "4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord [despotes] God, and our Lord [kurios] Jesus Christ."; so, the Lord in 2 Pet 2:1 is not Jesus; the Father has bought them temporarily, as Moses referred to rebellious people as being bought in Deut 32:6; also those bought by Jesus would not be speaking damnable heresies)
- Rom 10:12 - "12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him." (true, unto all that call upon Him)
- Rom 5:14 - "14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come." (yes, all of those in Adam died in Adam; all those in Christ died and were raised - not all are in Christ though; Rom 6:3-4 - "3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? 4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life." -- to whom is he talking? The Roman Christians)
- Rom 9:1-5 - "1 I say the truth in Christ, I lie not, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Ghost,
2 That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart. 3 For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh: 4 Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises; 5 Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen." (Paul had deep affection for his physical brethren)
- 1 Cor 15:22 - "22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive." (same as Rom 5:14; and if all were made alive [regenerate, re-born], all would be in heaven; also vs 23 says “23But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.”, the “they that are Christ’s” being those who are made alive in Christ)
- 1 Cor 15:45 - "45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit." (again, Rom 5:14)
- 2 Cor 5:14 – “14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:” (vs 15 says, “And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.”: Jesus died for “them”, those who will live; so the “all” in vs 14 is pointing to the “them” in vs 15)
- Matt 23:37 - "37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!" (Christ's human affection for His physical brethren)
- Luke 13:34 - "34 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!" (same as Matt 23:37)
- Acts 17:24 - "24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;" (all the universe)
- John 13:1 - "1 Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end." (the earth)
- John 12:31 - "31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out." (the world system that's not of God)
- Rom 3:19 - "19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God." (whole human race)
- John 15:18 - "18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you." (humanity minus believers)
- Rom 11:12 - "12 Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness?" (Gentiles in contrast to the Jews)
- John 1:29 - "29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." (believers (if He took away the sins of every single person, every single person would be saved)
- John 6:33 - "33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world." (believers (if life [spiritual, eternal life] is given to every single person, then every single person would be saved)
- 1 Cor 4:9 - "9 For I think that God hath set forth us the apostles last, as it were appointed to death: for we are made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men." (who are the world in this one, and who are men?)
- 2 Cor 5:19 - "19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation." (who's trespasses are not imputed to them? It's believers, so again, here, the world is the world of the believers)
- Rev 13:8 – “8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.”
- Rev 17:8 – “8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.”
Someone says that world means all the world? So here is what we can discern of THEM:
- Matt 18:7 - “7 Woe unto the world because of offences!”
Since they are of the world, WOE unto them!
- Luke 16:8 - “8 And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.”
In this verse, the children of THIS WORLD are distinct from the children of light. So we can discern that they are a child of THIS WORLD.
- John 7:7 - “7 The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil.“
Here we see where they (who is of this WORLD) hate Jesus.
- John 8:23 - “23 And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world.”
They are from BENEATH, since they are of this world.
- John 12:31 - “31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.”
Here we find that Satan is their prince.
- John 14:17 - “17 [Even] the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.”
This is a great one. They (who is of this world) cannot receive Christ. But WE know him!
- John 14:19 - “19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.“
Alas, they cannot see him. But we can!
- John 15:18 - “18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before [it hated] you.”
Why do they hate us? Because they admits that they are in the world!
- John 15:19 - “19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.”
God tells us that we are NOT of the world! I thought world means world?
- John 16:20 - “20 Verily, verily, I say unto you, That ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice: and ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.”
They rejoice at Christ’s crucifixion, but we lament. But our sorrow will be turned to JOY!
- John 17:6 - “6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.”
Here Jesus has manifested himself to those who God gave him OUT of the world. Too bad for them!
And here is the worst part, all the world wonders after the beast! And worships the beast! Too bad for them again!
And Jesus says he does not even pray for them.
- John 17:9 - “9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.”
- Gen 20:1-8 - “1 And Abraham journeyed from thence toward the south country, and dwelled between Kadesh and Shur, and sojourned in Gerar. 2 And Abraham said of Sarah his wife, She is my sister: and Abimelech king of Gerar sent, and took Sarah. 3 But God came to Abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, Behold, thou art but a dead man, for the woman which thou hast taken; for she is a man's wife. 4 But Abimelech had not come near her: and he said, LORD, wilt thou slay also a righteous nation? 5 Said he not unto me, She is my sister? and she, even she herself said, He is my brother: in the integrity of my heart and innocency of my hands have I done this. 6 And God said unto him in a dream, Yea, I know that thou didst this in the integrity of thy heart; for I also withheld thee from sinning against me: therefore suffered I thee not to touch her. 7 Now therefore restore the man his wife; for he is a prophet, and he shall pray for thee, and thou shalt live: and if thou restore her not, know thou that thou shalt surely die, thou, and all that are thine. 8 Therefore Abimelech rose early in the morning, and called all his servants, and told all these things in their ears: and the men were sore afraid.” (God holds Abimelech responsible [vs 3] even though he was innocent [vs 5], and God prevented him from sinning [vs 6]; if God can prevent sin, why didn’t he stop Adam & Eve? Because it was His plan from the foundation of the world that they sin in order to redeem them – Christ was the lamb slain from the foundation of the world, Rev 13:8)
- 1 Sam 2:6-8 – “6 The LORD killeth, and maketh alive: he bringeth down to the grave, and bringeth up. 7 The LORD maketh poor, and maketh rich: he bringeth low, and lifteth up. 8 He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth up the beggar from the dunghill, to set them among princes, and to make them inherit the throne of glory: for the pillars of the earth are the LORD's, and he hath set the world upon them.” (God does His will, and what He does is not always pleasant)
- Job 14:5 – “Seeing his days are determined, the number of his months are with thee, thou hast appointed his bounds that he cannot pass;” (God has determined the very days of our lives that cannot be overcome)
- Psa 139:16 – “Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members [days of my life] were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.” (God has determined the very days of our lives before there were any)
- Psa 139:21-22 – “Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee? 22 I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.” (We are to hate the enemies of God, hatred being a non-emotional disregard for them)
- Prov 16:4 – “4 The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.” (God even made the wicked for the day of evil)
- Prov 16:33 – “33 The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing thereof is of the Lord.” (even “chance” is determined by God)
- Prov 21:30 – “30 There is no wisdom nor understanding nor counsel against the LORD.” (no person’s counsel or will will stand against the Lord’s)
- Ecc 3:14-15 – “14 I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it: and God doeth it, that men should fear before him. 15 That which hath been is now; and that which is to be hath already been; and God requireth that which is past.” (these things to be done have been determined in the past)
- Jer 6:10-11 – “10 To whom shall I speak, and give warning, that they may hear? behold, their ear is uncircumcised, and they cannot hearken: behold, the word of the LORD is unto them a reproach; they have no delight in it. 11 Therefore I am full of the fury of the LORD; I am weary with holding in: I will pour it out upon the children abroad, and upon the assembly of young men together: for even the husband with the wife shall be taken, the aged with him that is full of days.” (they CANNOT hearken, vs 10; Jeremiah was full of the FURY of the Lord, vs 11)
- Matt 9:13 – “13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.” (God doesn’t call every person)
- Matt 13:11, 15 – “11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.”
15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.” (it was not given to them to understand [vs 11]; their eyes have been closed so that they will not understand because it’s not been given to them to understand – it was purposely withheld by God lest they be [to prevent the from being] saved)
- Mark 4:11-12 – “11 And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables: 12 That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them.” (again, God purposely withholding the ability to understand to prevent them from being converted and their sins from being forgiven)
- Luke 1:15 - “15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.” (John didn't choose to be saved)
- Luke 8:9-10 - "9 And his disciples asked him, saying, What might this parable be? 10 And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand." (God does not want them to understand, so Jesus speaks in parables to keep these things hidden from them -- it's not given to them to understand)
- John 1:13 - "10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. 11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not. 12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." (born again according to God's will)
- John 8:43 – “43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.” (they CANNOT understand Him, because it’s not been given them to do so, Matt 13:11, 15; Mark 4:11-12; Luke 8:9-10)
- John 12:39-40 - "39 Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again, 40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them." (could NOT believe, nor understand, nor be converted because they were blinded by God)
- John 14:17 - "17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you." (WORLD CANNOT receive the spirit of truth)
- Acts 5:31 - "31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins." (repentance is GIVEN)
- Acts 11:18 - "18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life." (same thing)
- Acts 17:25-26 – “25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things; 26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;” (God doesn’t need anything; He has determined everything before time)
- Acts 26:17-18 – “17 Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee, 18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.” (God does His work first that they may receive forgiveness of sins)
- Rom 3:10-12 – “10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: 11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. 12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.” (NO one seeks for God)
- Rom 8:7-8 - "7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God." (we CANNOT please God from our flesh)
- Rom 8:28-30 – “28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. 29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.” (THE called, vs 28; foreknown intimately and predestinated to salvation, vs 29-30)
- Rom 9:10-24 – “10 And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac; 11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;) 12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger. 13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated. 14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid. 15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. 17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. 18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth. 19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will? 20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus? 21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour? 22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction: 23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory, 24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?” (vs 11-13: God’s will and election determined who would be blessed and who would not, not based on anything they had done yet; and He loved and hated them NOT based on anything they had done, but based on His will only; vs 14: and do we question this? How dare we if we do! because; vs 15-16: God does what He will do according to His own will; vs 19: who can resist His will, with the answer being no one; vs 21: God makes some for honor, while others for dishonor (eg. Moses vs. Pharaoh); vs 23: the vessels of mercy were prepared for glory ahead of time by God)
- Rom 11:5 - "5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace." (does this include everyone? If all were elected to grace, all would go to heaven)
- Rom 11:36 – “36 For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.”
- Rom 12:3 - "3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith." (faith is a gift)
- 1 Cor 2:9-14 – “9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. 10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. 11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. 13Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.” (vs 9-11: the gospel message won’t reach a man’s heart without God revealing it to him by first giving him His Spirit; vs 12: the Spirit of God needs to be received BEFORE there is understanding of the gospel; vs 13: with the Spirit only and first comes spiritual understanding; vs 14: a man who has not received the Spirit CANNOT understand the gospel)
- 1 Cor 3:5-6 – “5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? 6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.” (the gospel message is only effective by an act of God)
- 1 Cor 4:7 – “7 For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?” (the difference between Christians and non-Christians is not based on anything they did [their own decision, etc.], it’s based on what’s been given them by God)
- 1 Cor 12:3 – “3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.” (no man can say Jesus is Lord unless the Holy Spirit is there first to do as such)
- Gal 2:16,20 –
“16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the
law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus
Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by
the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be
20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.” (the faith OF Christ in both verses)
- Gal 3:22 - "22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe." (same)
- Eph 1:4-6, 11 - "4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: 5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, 6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:"
- Eph 3:12 – “12 In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of him.” (the faith OF Christ)
- Eph 4:18 - "18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:" (blindness of the heart, not will or mind)
- Phil 3:9 – “9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:” (the faith OF Christ, righteousness OF God)
- 1 Thess 3:2-3 - "2 And sent Timotheus, our brother, and minister of God, and our fellowlabourer in the gospel of Christ, to establish you, and to comfort you concerning your faith: 3 That no man should be moved by these afflictions: for yourselves know that we are appointed thereunto." (appointed to have the afflictions)
- 2 Thess 2:8-12 - "8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: 9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, 10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: 12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness." (GOD sends strong delution that they might be damned)
- 2 Tim 2:24-25 - "24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;" (repentance perhaps given by God)
- 1 Pet 1:19-20 – “19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: 20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,” (Christ was declared to be the Lamb before the foundation of the world, which also indicates God’s divine decree of the fall)
- 1 Pet 2:7-8 - "7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner, 8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed." (appointed to be disobedient)
- Jude 4 - "4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ." (ordained to condemnation)
- Rev 4:11 – “11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.” (for His pleasure were all things created, including those who He would not call to Himself and would eventually judge)
- Rev 13:8 – “8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.” (Jesus was slain from the foundation of the world; His death was planned, which means the fall of man was planned)
- Rev 17:8 – “8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.” (the names in the book of life were written there before the foundation of the world)
So, in light of these possible variances, and verses whereby "world" HAS to mean believers only, and in looking at the rest of the Bible, including many of the verses above (like John 10:26-28, John 17:2, etc.), verse that talk about the Him dying for all of the world, aren't, at a minimum, NECESSARILY talking about every person, and I believe show are not. His sacrifice was complete for the people given Him; either that or, if the sacrifice was for everyone, it was ineffective for some people because not everyone is going to heaven and the saving work WAS ACCOMPLISHED at the cross (John 19:28-30 - "28 After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst. 29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth. 30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.).